CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCE

Picture credit: Pixtastock.com (Stickman Kids...)

An average number of adults who grew up in Nigerian homes can relate to having visitors around and the reality of receiving monetary gift from them. But we all know how those money ended... That's story for another day.

Childhood experiences have a way of shaping our mentality as an adult: directly or indirectly. Mine was having issues with visitors around especially when the visitor didn't give us tips or remain food and drink for me😂. Nigeria was still very good then. So visitors usually have a swell time.

As a child, our living space was not large so we had little or no privacy at all. I always had issues whenever visitors come visiting because it meant we had to excuse the room and wait outside for hours. Trust an African mother to give that legendary eye signal and you dare not disobey except you want to see imaginary stars. 

There were times we would be having nice family time and a visitor would pop out of nowhere and the atmosphere would change; mobile phones were not really available at the time to inform the host of one's coming.

I hated having visitors around for this singular reason.

Slowly, this formed a seed in me and it was really difficult to accommodate people. I just would not warm up anytime anyone shows up until minutes later when I ease into it. Having someone in my space spelt intrusion of privacy, which automatically causes a reaction in me.

However, I guess life is all about learning and unlearning. I've gradually unlearned this and it has been a sweet journey.

Can you relate to this? What childhood experience formed certain aspect of your adulthood life? Let me know in the comment section.

Till I write again,

Mobola.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DETERMINE YOUR CIRCLE

FASHION GONE WRONG

REASONS I WAS NOT SO THRILLED ABOUT THIS YEAR'S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION