MATHEMATICS CLASS EXPERIENCE



Unlike other subjects, Mathematics class is not always fun for me. The tension that comes with seeing the teacher alone is enough to kill every form of morale coupled with the fact that there's always a correction rode. What the Yoruba knows as egba.

The sight of egba is the beginning of fear...

Mathematics and English is scheduled for everyday in my school so no day is spared from this extreme torture. Imagine having to cease living for forty-five minutes in a day. 

This brings me to narrate what a typical mathematics class looks like in Anglican Girls' College.

Truth be told, I had the best Mathematics and English teachers. I need to give kudos to the school management for that.

Boda Tunde, as we popularly call our Junior class mathematics teacher, is a man of average height with an audible voice (even the deaf can hear him when he speaks). His face alone is enough to scare all the demons in all individual. To cap it all, he knows the name of all his students. Wahala! As such, there is no hiding place for anyone during mathematics class. He would come to class and only demand that we greet him with "Morning" because according to him, no morning is good except we do well in maths class.

The first day of introducing a topic is always a saving grace. You know why?

Everything is still simple and easy to grab so everyone in class always scale through. However, issues arise when we begin to go deep into the topic. To me, it's always like the man is speaking in a language I can't understand. That's when you'd see me flipping through the pages of my textbook and note like a guru but na lie! Everything written there is beyond my comprehension.

My worst nightmare is being called to the board. Hey Jesus! Secret iyaf open. My village people iyaf finally opened my case file. Shakara don end! Ghen ghen ghen!

I have not seen anyone as humble as myself when it comes to that aspect. This is the time I begin to deny my surname. Who wouldn't? Every missed calculation step comes with two strokes of cane that leave marks for weeks. Mind you, two of us go by the same surname in class.

Boda Tunde: Adeoye, come and work it out for us!

Me: Rahmat, he's calling you.

Rahmat: You're the one jor

Knowing fully well we are trying to play him, he devise a means of calling us. While he called Kogi, he called the other girl, Provost.

The journey from my seat to the board is always a miracle. It's like the journey of the children of Israelites. I'm taking steps forward but in actual fact, my mind is moving backward and praying that something interrupts the class.

As for my senior class mathematics teacher? It is story for another day especially for the association of "assignment not done" I belong to.

(Whispers) Do you know that those maths guru are wizard? Because I just don't understand how they scale through. How can we be finding X every time? Can't X be like Y? This matter don taya me jawe...

But thank God I know small calculation else this Lagos conductor would have swindled me of my hard earned money. Lol

Kindly share your mathematics class experience! I will be waiting in the comments section to read them.

Have a wonderful day ahead!

Till I write again,

Mobola

Comments

  1. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚... I didn't like maths too... No matter how much I tried, I didn't understand the deep aspects... We sha thank God for journey mercies.... I didn't do maths in utme and post utme ๐Ÿ˜Ž

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow you waka come. I don't know why we keep finding X ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  2. Mathematics my greatest enemies, I always have F9 in that subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. We need to revisit your score and do justice to it.

      Delete
  3. Maths is not that bad. It almost made cry when I was in secondary school

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maths is not bad until you start looking for X that ran into the bush.

      Delete
  4. Maths wasn't my best subject but I never shyed away from it. Infact it was one of the subject I later liked because I studied an Engineering course so whether I liked it or not it was essentially on all my courses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. แปŒmแป This Story is worth every minute spent no cap.
    I used to be very good at mathematics that I almost toyed with the idea of becoming a mathematician. I was damn so good that for a term I didn't miss a single mark in homework. Seldom in classwork. I marked maths scripts. As an art student I was so good that I dabbled into further maths. I had three people help me with this. But then a new teacher came– Mr Silva he ruined everything I begun to dislike maths thru him, I changed school I had one Mr Paul as my teacher. This man was purely cruise. Both teachers were very good at Maths but bad at teaching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, the mode of teaching affects interest in a subject.

      Likewise teaching is not for everyone. Some are brilliant but can't pass knowledge to another.

      Delete
    2. Exactly! Engineers without an NCE shouldn't be teaching maths.

      Mathematics is not for everyone.

      Delete
    3. The criteria for teaching is wack in this country.

      Teaching goes beyond just doing it because you have a certificate. Some even do it simply because it's the only available job and this is a disaster to the future of the country.

      Delete
  6. For my experience, it was a breakthrough tho I wasn't bright in mathematics I have always been a below-average student in mathematics, my sister, on the other hand, was a champion always scoring 98% and above in every exam.

    My nightmare intensified in senior secondary when I stole my sister's note and dubbed all the answers to the indices and logarithm assignment, of course, I got a perfect score my teacher had a ritual of sharing the note herself so after break, we had a single period for maths.

    She shared everyone's note but I didn't get mine alas she announced you were the only one who got a perfect score you would have to do the correction.
    She went to the board and wrote correction the only thing I could spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez! I'm trying to paint a mental picture and I can only imagine your predicament.

      It must have been a tough one because Mr time will literally stop and laugh at you too.

      Your maths teacher though ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DETERMINE YOUR CIRCLE

FASHION GONE WRONG

THROWBACK MEMORIES