CAMP TALES (Episode 2)





Coping with camp activities did not come on a platter of gold as those who came before us were already indoctrinated and no one was willing to teach newbies like us. Needless to say, one has to fit in by studying how things unfold. 

My first night in camp was not it at all. I had had my bath in the evening despite the cold and was married by catarrh all through the night. I kept sneezing and I couldn't help but raise suspicious looks from my roommates whose thoughts were channeled towards "is it covid". I had one of the shortest night. I woke up early, had my bath, dressed up and patiently waited for the sound of the bugle having heard numerous tales about camp routines. 

The sound came at exactly 5:45am and all pcms filed out to the parade ground for morning meditation. As an alien, I was expecting that the meditation would start immediately but no, these people kept playing songs till 5:30am. The anger in me could not be quantified. I mean I could still be enjoying my sweet sleep but Nigeria chose to punish me.

At around 6am, everything went still and the sound of the bugle came up again. Curious me made inquiries about what was happening and I was made to understand that Nigeria was about to wake up.

"Wake up kwa! These people are funny o. Nigeria must be lazy then because typically Lagos (one of Nigeria's son) would have been awake since 3am" I said to myself while trying to adjust the bumshort NYSC gave me.

The day's activities were officially declared open after the paparazzi. The Man O' War Drills commenced immediately and that was where wahala came in.

I was not used to exercising so you can imagine telling someone with a stiff body like mine to jump up, bend, twist and do other strenuous exercises. I am very sure my body screamed that day because the pain I felt afterwards was not from Nigeria at all.

Next in line was the parade rehearsal in preparation for the swearing in party.

"Everybody fall in lines of three" shouted the R.S.M with a voice as loud as NTA boring anthem.

Truth be told, I was confused. I could not help but think of home and at some point, I did not know when I muttered "Is it a must to serve?"

"Of course, it is", replied a female soldier with a warm smile.

To further heighten my confusion, different words of command came but I was just looking like a dummy. The funniest of them all was when the parade commander shouted:

"Parade will remove hairdress. Remove hairdress.

Innocent me thought hairdress referred to all these hair accessories used by females not knowing it was the NYSC camp that was being referred to.

Kai! I have entered this one...

Did you enjoy your read? Do well to leave a comment.

Till I write again,

Mobola

Comments

  1. You should have asked me na... I'd have thought you how naaa...nice one yo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were using me to do shakara till I went to disgrace my village people.

      Delete
  2. Well camp is fun it has some key moments in it although it can be suffocating at times because some camps lack some basic amenities. Which becomes extremely difficult handling emergencies. There were series of emergencies back when I was in camp conical fainting in patterns and what have you.
    Well it's an experience for the bag!
    What happened with the civil defense? 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true but to some considerable extent, my camp had all the basic amenities and living was not that hard except for the regimented camp activities.

      Delete
  3. The camp exercise was fun for me tho, because it was on a lighter mood with nice music to shake body early momo.

    Swearing in parade rehearsal na hell my sister.


    I hate it when Nigeria goes to brd by 6pm and I am on Parade ground still marching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like! That thing is annoying. How can Nigeria sleep by 6pm while her ccitizens sleep by 10pm. Ko balance at all

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DETERMINE YOUR CIRCLE

FASHION GONE WRONG

THROWBACK MEMORIES