GLOSSOPHOBIA



"Eerrrrrrm...today...I'd be t.a.l.k.i.n.g...so so so"

I'm quite sure most people can relate to this.

Sometimes in my year 4, I was to represent my group in a group presentation since the spokesman had an appointment with our project supervisor that same day. The topic "feminism" was something everyone could relate too. I had even prepared by making researches and reading extensively on the topic. You needed to see me bragging among my peers that day. As in, a whole me, Mobola wants to do presentation in class. Dem go collect. I remembered rehearsing even before the class and everything was perfect. 

The set time came and the lecture commenced. Of course the lecturer called out the groups scheduled for presentation that day and we all came out. The first group did their thing and discussions were centered on their presentation. Mobola should have been prepared by now, right? Ehn ehn. That's where the real deal came in. Suddenly, everyone was looking like a lion to me. My feet became cold and there was this hot flushes. How the mighty has fallen! I was bitten by glossophobia.

Glossophobia or speech anxiety is the fear of public speaking.

Thankfully, my group leader came at the exact time the lecturer called on my group. You need not to laugh at me. You see this Mobola ehn, she's strong and all of that but definitely not when it comes to speaking publicly especially to a large crowd. It's always a case of morale down. Dexter, would always call me "keyboard warrior".


Most times, we all have this dual personality. We can talk to a large number of people on virtual community but become as quiet as a dove in reality when it comes to public speaking. We have that zeal but just not when there is crowd. I'd rather just smile and shy away than talk in public gathering. By the way, you really don't know what God has done for you if you can face crowds without your liver failing you.


Do you suddenly become a stammerer like me when it comes to speaking to a group of people publicly or you speak fluently?
Kindly leave a comment

Till I can speak in public,
Mobola

Comments

  1. Hv also been in this shoe bfor,gosh��.it was during an individual defense,whr no one can help u out,and u r nt just facing ur lecturers and classmates,but your whole department.. lemme say it was God and a shakormmended transparent glass that made me present well dt day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whole department?! I'd have entered the ground. I'm glad my defense was just some selected lecturers and it was even a group project. So we went it with our group members.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm... It's a relatable situation. But I'm the type that do deliver no matter the crowd once I'm prepared physically, mentally, emotionally and otherwise. It does not usually start well tho but the ginger comes along the line. Nonetheless, if I'm not fully equipped man go shiver o.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how all those English children can be na! Different eyes, hailing and whatsoever. They make someone loose focus and attention especially Patrick and Bosun😂

      Delete
    2. Those ones?!🤣🤣🤣🤣

      Delete
    3. They act like our leaders in national assembly

      Delete
  3. 😁😁😁 this thing actually fall my hand for my first day in a secondary school. One of my most embarrassing moment till date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it up on your status and it was really funny

      Delete
  4. It's something most people can relate to at some point probably not everyone sha
    I use to have it but after my class one it was gone but I can vivdly remember it was a class presentation where you have to sing
    I sang to myself and the rest was history
    The turning point was centered in my tertiary level
    I was asked to represent my school for a presentation it was a national conference story for another day sha
    Mobola well done o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd work towards overcoming mine and soon enough, you'd see me speaking to thousands of people.

      Errrrm uncle Enah, what did I do?

      Delete
  5. This a crucial topic. I remember one time like that in secondary school, we were to discuss on what ever question our economics teacher throws at you, right on that spot. Although I was one of the best in economics; when it was almost my turn, na so one kind cold and headache dey catch me. I was rushed to the sick bay and everyone was amazed at my sudden sickness, but me in my mind of mind knew that is was anxiety, or let me say glossophobia that was playing out.
    Anyway, as much as possible I try to stay out of presentation when I got to the tertiary institution.
    What is the way forward bayi, cause at one point or the other one will have to face the crowd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are numerous ways to get over the phobia. Kindly follow through with the link I included in the piece

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DETERMINE YOUR CIRCLE

FASHION GONE WRONG

THROWBACK MEMORIES