REASONS I WAS NOT SO THRILLED ABOUT THIS YEAR'S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION


I read a post on Facebook, precisely on Headstart community group. The writer was not so keen on celebrating his birthday this year and immediately, I could relate to that feeling.

My birthday was barely two months ago and unlike previous years when I was fascinated and even threw a small get together, I was skeptical about this year's. If possible, I wanted to become invisible on that day then come back the next day. I just did not want any drama associated with birthday: calls, pouring of water, messages and all. 

Now, do not get me wrong. Being skeptical does not mean I did not appreciate God for the privilege of being alive to witness another new beginning. Of course! I did. But rather than receive calls and get carried away by wishes, I wanted a time for self reflection. A lone time to just think and think about how to utilize the new year and develop my capability. All of me wanted a meeting; a meeting with my head and thinking faculty about the way forward. 

This was not just another year, it is my first year as a graduate; a year that ushered me into adulthood. No, I am not 18. I have passed that age since forever. In simple terms, reality dawned on me that I have to take charge of my life. I was no longer the "little" Mobola. I am a grown woman, full of potentials yet to be explored.


However, despite the fact that I did not post on any social media, I still got calls and wishes from family and friends which I so much appreciate. My neighbours also poured water on me even when I thought the day was over. I received a wonderful gift too.

I think I can officially wish myself a BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNIVERSARY.

Have you ever been skeptical about celebrating your birthday? Share your thoughts/experience in the comment section. You can also ask me any question. Remember, I love you all.

Comments

  1. Plenty times...not just my birthday
    There are days I just wish to be alone to think and plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all want to be better...but give thanks always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. A better future is what we pray for.

      Delete
  3. I am more than skeptical when it comes to my birthdays......I always seek solitude when that day comes knocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. The paramount thing is finding comfort in your solitude.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being alone some of the time if not most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking out time to comment, Eddie.

      Delete
  6. Feeling lone is a lifestyle I've only celebrated one birthday since I could make decision so I can relate to this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One? Eheeee

      I think I am loving that lifestyle but then, loneliness should not be encouraged

      Delete
  7. Wow. I think this happens as we grow up though. But I love my birthdays anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birthday baby, you still owe cakes though.

      Delete
    2. We owe each other cake baby.😄😄😄

      Delete
  8. Lol!
    I don't like celebrating my birthdays, not even a small get together. I always just like to be alone and do whatever comes to mind "alone".
    That's just how i feel.

    Thanks for sharing Mobola. I hope your potentials are fully maximized and have a heart soothing return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmmnnn 🤔 birthdays. I'm nor really even moved when I hear this, because all my life, my birthday has been low-key. So ooo... I grew up not seeing anything special about it.
    In fact this year own ehhhhnn, I felt like living planet Earth and coming back when it's all over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to Mars, dear. We'd be waiting for you there.

      Delete
  10. While growing up,mum stopped celebrating my birthday at age 5 because I always fall sick on my birthdays

    Ever since... I've always looked forward to growing up and being able to throw parties on my birthday

    Now, am a grown-up and t doesn't interest me any longer...I love my privacy always abeg...I only do the little I do so that people won't think I'm weird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about that.

      The being weird aspect is the great deal. You know, people just start looking at you somehow when you don't radiate with joy on that day.

      Delete
  11. Growing up I always loved celebrating my birthdays in "my own way"
    Birthdays can mean anything for different people.
    For me its always a day to reflect on the last chapter and start another chapter hopefully with 365 pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "In my own way", I love that and oh yes birthday means different things to different people.

      By the way, I love what you did on your 25th birthday. I might just follow suit too.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Mobola
      I may had written something about my past but trust me some of those chapters would become questionable as time passes
      My little advice to you would be to keep some chapters unpublished only as manuscripts.
      I know you would figure this out

      Delete
    3. I understand even the unspoken words

      Delete
  12. I always liked my birthday but this year was kinda different. I ended up celebrating but I almost didn't, I guess most of it was just the sadness of the world really. I didn't think I deserve to celebrate it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many happenings around. However, it does not mean you don't deserve to. You might celebrate it in solitude thinking of ways to make the world a better place.

      Delete
  13. My last birthday wasn't it at all... Not like it's always it but I just wanted to be alone eating pringles and fried chicken with cold plain hollandia yoghurt.. I feel like birthdays are kinda overhyped..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To some extent, they are but I feel it's the best time to restrategize

      Delete
  14. This year's, it could be one of my worst birthdays...everyo ev was excited about the day, except the owner of the day😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DETERMINE YOUR CIRCLE

FASHION GONE WRONG

THROWBACK MEMORIES