AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW SESSION WITH OKPALUBA OLUEBUBECHUKWU


Meet Okpaluba Oluebubechukwu, a medical practitioner in view and a special effects makeup artist. Read, as she talks us through her journey and how well she has been able to manage both.

Q: Can we meet you?
A: My name is Oluebube. I am a final year medical student of Babcock University. I am a creative makeup artist who inspires people through her art. I use the face/body as my canvas.

Q: A lot of your friends call you Ebube, which is translated to Glory. Or should I call you Dr. Ebube? What is your full name?
 A: You really tried. My full name is Okpaluba Oluebubechukwu, which when translated means, "The glorious work of God."

Q: Did you always wanted to study medicine?
A: Always? Not really. But I have had the dream for some time. I would say Ben Carson made do it. Just kidding. But he was one of my biggest inspirations, and I mean a doctor is like an extension of Jesus so why not make people's lives better through my touch.

Q: When did you decide to become an entrepreneur?
A: This decision has been since I was younger. I have God-given dreams that can only be achieved with something of my own. 
Also, along the line, being an entrepreneur is a way to improve the quality of life for some people by providing job opportunities, or any other noble means. Instead of getting fed by someone, why don't I reduce the burden by showing them the food itself.

Q: There are availability of many entrepreneurial skills. Why did you choose makeup over other skills?
A: Makeup has always been one of the ways to express my love for creativity, and that was one of the reasons I started. I did not really have 'business' in mind, but after some time, I realized that your God-given talent should also pave way for you. I mean if I can add value with these skills, why not get paid for it? I have other entrepreneurship areas I am interested in, but I am following my leader. He put this in my mind. He'll take me there. 

Q: We know how Nigerian parents are. How has it been so far combining studying medicine with being a makeup artist?
A: I am grateful for my parents. They gave their support from the onset and their support is second to none. I know my medical and makeup career are both important, but sometimes, I have to put more time into Medicine/Surgery because that is actually why I was sent to school, and I have to make it work plus it is not inexpensive. Sometimes, I do my makeup once I get back from classes while other times at midnight.

Q: What challenge(s) did you encounter in starting off?
A: Before the word 'business' came to me, I was really having free fun. I would practice on my face, friends, anyone around me that would allow me play with their face and I was just so excited. To be honest, when I started this as a business, I was scared, actually frightened. Like, having to be more 'work-minded' if you get what I mean, meeting new people etc. Also, I had a small waterproof bag of makeup that was not a worry to me before but once this became a business, I wanted everything to be perfect. My phone camera was not the best and other things. But an important challenge was my mindset. I kept thinking impossibility, but once it was renewed, I realized all I had was enough to start.

Q: How were you able to overcome the challenge(s)?
A: My mindset was a challenge and I knew I was not going anywhere with that so I asked God to help me. I read a few books, watched some videos, and did a lot of self encouragement. It is definitely more like a garden now, but it is a journey. It keeps getting better.
For the phone, I used my phone for the longest of time. Gosh, it was not funny. Sometimes, I had to borrow phones to help with the pictures.


Q: Recently, you started special effects makeup and have been posting several amazing tryouts on your Instagram page, what inspired you to begin?
A: Thank you for the compliment. Ironically, what inspired me was fear. I was scared to try, but I was scared of hiding and eventually, time flew and I did not start. Also, I saw @cakefacerj work one night in 2017 and I was almost shedding happy and sad tears. You know that moment when you have been looking for something for long that you have even forgotten about it, then you find it. I felt like that was the push I had been praying for. My heart was spilling over with creativity and I was just here hiding. How was that glorifying God or helping anyone?

Q: So we heard that your brand, Nocossignature, would be marking its first year anniversary soon. How has the journey of venturing into the entrepreneurial world been so far and what is the most challenging design you have ever done?
A: It has been beautiful. God has been so merciful to me and I am forever thankful. There have been times when I would just be so pumped but other times, I just want to stop. But thank God, I did not quit. I have learnt a lot from relating better with people, to financial nuggets etc. Also, I am grateful to everyone that has supported me in one way or the other, and I do not even joke with it. You, my amazing interviewer, my beautiful family, my amazing customers, my lecturers, my wonderful besties, friends etc. It is an honour. As for my most challenging design, it is really hard to pick.

This one was done on hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I had not eaten so I was shaking but a wonderful friend helped me out and took this picture and I am thankful.

This also took me some time to create

Q: Has your education had any real impact in your business? If yes, what impact?
A: Yes, it has. Studying medicine and practicing makeup have been blessings. Medicine as a career affects one holistically and positively, if I may add. Due to the nature of my medical career, I have to be detailed and taking that to makeup produce better outcomes. I have learnt how to be more patient as a doctor and also as an artist. I would just say it is a perfect blend that stands out.

Q: What are the basic advice you give to your clients especially those with serious skin issues? Do you perhaps refer them to a dermatologist?
A: I understand my client is already going through a lot because of that issue and to reduce unnecessary expenses, and what-nots, I would advice her/him to see a dermatologist. Serious skin issues require real knowledge of what is happening. The dermatologist will use their knowledge of medicine in that specialty and proffer a long lasting solution. In the long-term, money is saved and confidence is restored fully.

Q: Looking at yourself six years from now, where do you see yourself? What do you see yourself doing?
A: Wow! It is a lot to express but let me try. I see Nocossignature renowned and even more successful, fulfilling all God has planned for her. I see her inspiring nations and helping people achieve their dream due to the ripple effect of her God-given purpose, creating legacies and changing lives one God-given idea at a time.

Q: As someone who had made it through a year officially, what advice would you give to others thinking about turning their talents into a money making venture, but worried about the society?
A: Thank you for that question. To anyone willing to try, I will want them to know that their dreams are valid and it is as possible as their mindset. You need to believe you can do it and tell God about it. He made you and wants the best for you so if you let Him in, it's a win-win.
Society is a collection of people whose beliefs constantly change. It is never stable. Sometimes, they may say something that supports you while other times, they may not so I believe chasing your dreams regardless of who is talking is the best thing. That is actually what is important. Society will always have something to say but nothing to do. You are doing your thing and living your life, so keep at it.
One more thing to always remember: you are enough. All you are is good enough.

Thank you for your time Doc. When you are through studying medicine, I should come for free treatment at your hospital, or a full face glam at your makeup studio.

....................................................................

 You can check out Nocossignature on IG @Nocossignature. We want to believe you enjoyed every bit of the interactive session and we are hoping you would also take a step of faith into the business world; with proper preparation and planning. Once again, we wish Nocossignature a happy anniversary. Kindly drop your comments and wishes below.

Till we talk again,
Mobola

Comments

  1. First to comment 🥳🥳🥳

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations 🎉. And these points are really insightful, kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. You took the mantle from the guys.

      Thank you for helping out too.

      Delete
  3. Badoski makeup 🤩🤩
    I'm really impressed, I love creative art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir/ma. She's really a bunch of creativity.

      Delete
  4. Really inspiring words...thank you so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. Very creative. Proof that science and art can yield beauty. And inspiring too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! I did not even give that a thought. The fusion of science and arts. Wonderful!

      Delete
  6. This is really inspiring. I've learned a new thing today!!! Thanks Vikky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, our baby lawyer. Hopefully, you would share beautiful insights of how you combine being a lawyer in view with writing someday.

      Delete
  7. This is really intriguing, keep it up dear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creativity at it's peak👌

    I've always been a fan of creativity, no matter how little; as far as it's able to communicate reason for its existence.
    Well done Mobola for bringing amazing Ebube to share her creativity and journey so far with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome darling. Thank you for reading

      Delete
  9. Absolutely impressive. Arts and Science always had a spot for each other afterall
    Science is an art.
    She is brilliant I love the way she answered your questions with great sincerity which is a rare trait these days.
    And to you Mobola thank you for inspiring something wonderful like this interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science is an art, no doubt but most people are after promoting science rather than the fusion of science and other aspects which would definitely lead to something great and beautiful.

      Thanks for the compliments and thanks for helping out too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DETERMINE YOUR CIRCLE

FASHION GONE WRONG

THROWBACK MEMORIES