THE END PRODUCT



Thanks to everyone who have shown concern towards my sudden MIA. You all gave me reasons to continue on this journey.

I have been thinking all day on what to write and thankfully, I came up with something. Since today is Thursday, let's do a throwback. Sounds fun, right? Obviously. I will be throwing it back to series of events that happened in the year 2006. Did you just exclaim? Lol, it's a long time indeed but the memories are still fresh and intact. Kindly note that this is a long read. Sit back and enjoy.

Back in the year 2006, it was time for the annual graduation ceremony and preparations were ongoing. Everyone was up and doing but this little girl didn't join any activities. Maybe as a result that I was shy or because I didn't like the stress that accompany each activities. I think I was lazy. Yes! That's the word. I was simply lazy to stress myself. So all what we do, I mean myself and my lazy group of people, is jump around from one group to another and return to our class when we've had our fill.

On this fateful day, the timekeeper had rung the bell for society and everyone had set out to their various groups. As usual, my gang and I were also prepared to carry out our mission of inspecting all groups but little did we know that luck wouldn't smile on us that day. We were all caught and assigned to various groups. As for me, I was told to join the fashion parade contest for Miss Philomena. My school is known to conduct a fashion parade during every graduation ceremony where a winner would be picked and crowned the queen of the school. My heart almost popped out of its place. So many thoughts kept running through my minds. Why fashion parade of all things. I don't even meet up to the criteria; I was short, robust. I didn't even have what it takes to win compared to other contestants. Simply put, I wasn't sophisticated. I was just that little girl with fine handwriting. All plea to leave the group proved abortive as the teacher wouldn't even listen to me. To crown it all, my best friend back then was also contesting. Everything felt awkward. You really can't imagine the uproar of laughter when I was called out to walk abi parade on the imaginary stage. Even my village people would have done better than what I did; my bow legs were not helping either. I felt like the sole aim of the teacher was just to humiliate me.

I was trying to cope with what happened earlier when the headmistress called me to her office. At this point, I had died a hundred times within. Being summoned to the headmistress office is like going into the lion's den. Whoever comes out safe would need to thank his/her stars. On getting there, I met a group of teachers and my class teacher, who had forcefully made me join the contest, was also present. Apparently, she was the person my village people had sent to torment me (lol).

"Bola, you've been chosen by the management to read the graduation speech to the outgoing students. I am very sure you won't let us down" she said, handing over a four foolscap pages of handwritten speech to me.

At this point, I knew I was in for it. It was barely a week to the graduation day. Did I tell you that I was to read the speech off hand? No spying, no holding of paper, nothing nothing.

Preparations got intense as the day drew closer. I was getting better at my parade and it wasn't so hard learning and committing the speech to heart. Thanks to my mum.

Fast forward to the graduation ceremony day. All hands were on deck. Everyone was busy, both students and teachers. I was in a corner trying to go through my speech for the last time and at the same time prepare for the contest. Motivational speech started rolling in but through it all I was looking for just one person in the crowd; my mum.

It was time for the speech and my name was called. Imagine the surprise look on people's face when they saw the petite girl coming out with no paper. The MC handed over the mic to me but I stood still till I saw that familiar face smiling at me from the crowd; my mum!

"Now, I can start" I said to myself smiling.

So the journey began. This petite girl started the speech, pausing, adding facial expressions and physical gestures where necessary. All thanks to mum who had taught me that during our practice sessions at home. In a twinkle of an eye, I was through with the speech, all smiles. I couldn't fathom what happened next. I just knew I was floating in the air with so many compliments, monetary gifts and all sorts. I was proud. First mountain surmounted!

Immediately after that, it was time for the parade. The parade was in three sessions: traditional wear, English wear and I really can't remember the last one. First session came, second and finally the third. I was competing at the last stage with my best friend and another classmates. Left to me, I didn't know I would make it to the final round. It was time to announce the winner. Tensions arose, it felt like the whole word stopped. I became tensed. The second runner up was announced, leaving me and my best friend. At this point, it was every man to himself.

"...and the Queen for 2006/2007 session is..." the MC stuttered leaving everyone tensed.

"...is contestant no 4!" He finally announced.

That couldn't be me. The girl with the worst step became the Queen. I was filled with joy. My best friend was the first runner up but from her reaction, she wasn't happy. That was the last time she spoke to me.

Conclusively, the fact that you didn't start well does not mean you would not end well. It all depends on your determination. Also, your acquaintance, friends and family might desert you on your pathway to success. You just keep aiming for the crown.

Thanks for reading! I love you all.

Comments

  1. First person! Also, I love you and I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I want to be like you when I grow up. You actually gave a speech and you also won! Such achievements at such a young age. I Stan!

      Delete
    2. I love you too, petty god. Such feat wouldn't have been possible if I had backed out.

      Thanks for reading and taking out time to comment.

      Delete
  2. It's not a Thursday but I love this story 🥳🥳🥳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't mind me. I had planned to upload it tomorrow but here we are. Thanks all the same.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Don't loud it. My future kids mustn't hear that😂

      Delete
  4. This post motivates me and gives me more reasons to keep pushing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good. Now, go get your pen and start giving us beautiful fashion illustrations.

      Delete
  5. This wanted to sound like movie something. But you're all quiet shades of drama sha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drama and Mobola were best of friends when she was little. Adulthood taught her a little bit of calmness.

      Delete
  6. If I had knew this earlier. I would have bought you miss unilag contest ticket. Knowing fully well that you would have won. Nice write-up miss petite ultimate contestant no. 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all that unilag stress? Mbok I no dey do

      Delete
  7. Oshey baby, so we are in the lazy gang together. At least you no dey join any activity. Me I we join and when it's the d day I will forget totally that I'm to present something.
    As for that pagent, lady��������

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful piece Mobola.
    Welcome back!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DETERMINE YOUR CIRCLE

FASHION GONE WRONG

THROWBACK MEMORIES